Come on- Just Drink It! Do it!

Happy Presidents Day everybody! Unless your in Sales, retail, the restaurant business, or were just plain unlucky to have to go to work today. No fun.

Work was work, but this Monday was a bit different then most. Most Monday's I come in, look like absolute hell since I would have drank 3 bottles of liquor over the weekend. Barely do anything till 11, and then start my day slowly counting down the minutes until I could leave. Not this Monday. I woke up feeling refreshed, feeling a sense of pride that I had finally for the first time in, god, 6 years had a completely sober weekend. Actually got a lot more work done too. Was quite nice and solid reinforcement internally to know I am doing all the correct things.

After work was over, my banker friends (All off very jealous) told me to come meet them at a bar, as an old college bud had moved back to the city. Feeling great I thought, sure I can go. Didn't even have a will to drink. We would just play some darts and catch up. All that did happen, but I was also berated for 2 hours for not wanting to drink.

I knew this was going to happen, but not to the extent. Told everyone I was good, and was just taking some time off from drinking (Will tell them all later ((Not super close) that I am 100% done with drinking forever.) I actually decided to count how many times the 4 of them made a joke about me drinking a beer if someone lost darts. 28. Thats trying to get me to drink a beer/take a shot every 4 minutes.

The beginning was no problem at all. Turned it down, laughed, even made some jokes at myself. But after an hour and a half of drinking Diet Coke, and a joke every 4 minutes. I could feel myself starting to want a beer as they kept ordering pitcher after pitcher. That moment faded however, I saw my buddy drop his phone, fall to the ground too drunk to stand. My mind wandered....

*Flashback*
I remember the last time I drank, completely blacked out drunk on 2 1/2 bottles in a day on the last day of the weekend. The only thing I remember is about 20 seconds of me crawling on the floor. Feeling everything was in slow motion. Barley able to move. *done*

I come too, that low feeling. That feeling of having a bottle in your hand as an adult and freaking crawling on the floor because your too messed up to stand. That- That will never happen again. Seeing my friend fall was the reminder and the refresher I needed to shake me out of my booze wanting trance.

We finished the night shortly there after. I hugged everyone goodby, no ill will, I wasn't mad. To be honest, I brought this on myself. Years of being the guy who would always drink has caught up to me. Hopefully in due time they stop trying to force liquor down my throat. But until then, I have to stay strong.

It's no longer Miller Time

-Jordan Miller

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beginning Of A Journey

My Alcoholism & the Impact on Dating

Weekend Worry- Small Wins